Private Landlords

This section of the website is aimed at both new and existing landlords to help ensure that they;

  • Have the information to hand to allow them to meet their legal obligations as Landlords
  • Know where to seek advice and support in providing good quality accommodation and well managed tenancies

What information would you like?

Please click on the links below for further details;

Legislation and Regulations Rents and Bonds Private Rented Sector Legislative Changes 2016 Finding a Tenant Landlord Accreditation Neath Port Talbot Social Lettings Agency

Universal Credit - 10 Things Landlords Need to Know!

The following document will be of use to all Landlords concerning Universal Credit (provided by Welsh Local Govt Association - WLGA) CLICK HERE

Empty Private Sector Homes:

An initiative to return empty private sector properties back into use as homes for sale or rent has been launched with a boost of £10 million from the Welsh Government. The initiative enables Local Authorities to offer loans to Landlords and Owners of empty properties, where a property has been empty for more than 6 months, on an interest-free basis for upto 3 years. Loan amounts available are upto £25,000 per property with a maximum loan of £150,000 per applicant. In setting up the loan there will be some administration and legal costs and the valuation of the property and any existing borrowing against it will be taken into consideration.

Further information can be found on the Welsh Government website or to express your interest in this Initiative please contact the Housing Renewal Team, Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council on (01639) 763215.

Neath Port Talbot Landlords Forum

The Neath Port Talbot Landlords Forum is organised by the Council but is run by Landlords for Landlords.  It promotes consultation between the Council and Private Landlords, gives Landlords the opportunity to meet with the Council and discuss issues that may affect them. The Forum also provides the opportunity to share news, views and experiences and offers updates on all areas affecting the private rented sector to improve standards and create business opportunities for landlords. For more information, please visit the Council's Website here.


What if my Tenant is struggling to Manage?

Support can be provided to help people who are having difficulties with tenancy-related issues. Tenants in this situation should be advised to contact Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's Housing Options Service, or another professional such as their GP, to ask to be referred to the Tenant Support Scheme. 

Support and advice regarding a range of issues such as budgeting/debts, benefit claims and mental health/counselling can be provided. 

Alternatively, please refer to the Neath Port Talbot Supporting People Supported Housing Directory 2011 which lists a wide range of Organisations who support people to maintain an independent living and prevent homelessness.


Furniture and Appliances

For those properties which require furnishing, the Enfys Foundation based in Swansea, collects, repairs and re-distributes quality used furniture. They are also able to assist with property clearances. Please contact the Enfys Foundation on (01792) 464123 for further details.

Appliance Universe or RESaREC will also be able to assist with your furniture needs.


Nest - Making Wales Cosy

Help is available for people who are living in fuel inefficient homes, through the Welsh Government's fuel poverty scheme, Nest.

Nest advice and support is available to every Welsh Householder. Also tenants who are privately renting their homes are in receipt of a means-tested benefit and are living in the most energy inefficient properties (F or G rated) may be eligible for Nest funded whole house improvements. This would require the permission of the landlord and other restrictions will apply. For further information on Nest click here.